Popular Entertainment Area in Kuching
Kuching has entertainment and nightlife to suit most tastes. As this guide has been written with tourists in mind, we have not included places that concentrate on lavish business entertainment or where female visitors would feel uncomfortable.
Socialising in Kuching is also done in restaurants and coffee shops. Normal pubs usually charge around RM 8-10 for a beer. Live music pubs, hotel bars, plush karaoke lounges and trendier bars are usually RM 12 upwards. Most places have “happy hours,” with discounts or 2-for-1 offers. Unless otherwise stated, outlets are open daily from around 5 pm to 1 am (2 am Fri & Sat). The main city-centre areas to find pubs and bars are in and around Taman Sri Sarawak, Padungan Road, the Travillion Mall (Jln Petanak) and Jln Bukit Mata. The listings below are only a small selection of city centre pubs and bars – the inquisitive will make their own discoveries.
Pubs & Bars
- The Cottage, Jln Bukit Mata. Friendly corner pub with a good selection of wines and reasonably priced Kilkenny draught stout. Lunchtime till late. https://www.facebook.com/thecottagealive
- The Granary, a unique warehouse event space in the heart of Kuching, part of The Marian Boutique Lodging House. https://www.facebook.com/thegranarykch/
- Rainforest, Taman Sri Sarawak, opp. Hilton. Noisy, sweaty hip-hop and R&B bar, popular at weekends with a very young and boisterous crowd.
- The Ruai Bar, 3 Jln Green Hill. Laid back ethnic style bar run by a friendly Iban family. Youngish, mostly Dayak crowd enjoy welcoming visitors. Huge selection of music on the PC (a great place to top up your i-Pod), cheap beer, and authentic longhouse food served most evenings.
- Tanju’ Beach Club, located within The Culvert Resort, head down to the beach for some late night fun at the beach club. Groove to the music and sing your heart out with our very own inhouse tropical house music. If bars are a bit too much for you, don’t fret because they have it all covered. Their private dining deck on the beach will be perfect for the eager couple wanting some romantic alone time to chat till the stars shine. https://www.facebook.com/tanjubeachclub
- Drunk Monkey Old Street Bar, 68 Carpenter Street. Lively hangout that becomes a party bar at weekends. Good selection of drinks and large outdoor seating area. 2pm – 2am.
- Five Foot Way, corner of Jln Padungan / Jln Song Thian Cheok. Compact corner bar decorated with the owner’s paintings. Cheap beer and tasty pub food. 4pm – 2am.
- Terminal One, 341 Jln Padungan Utara. Live bands from the Philippines and loud local DJs. 4pm – 2am.
- Havana, 22 Jln Tabuan. A watering hole on weekdays, party bar at weekends. https://www.facebook.com/havanacafekuching/